In 2013 – with visions of high tech toys dancing in young heads – some readers may remember when a fragrant, juicy orange in their Christmas stocking was a real treat, especially in the Montezuma Valley, where apples were plentiful and oranges were not.
Philip Runck knew apples. He was one of Montezuma Valley’s first...
more Looking back
From the Cortez Sentinel, March 21, 1929
Notice is hereby given that henceforth chickens must be kept on the premises of the owner. Allowing chickens to run at large is a violation of the law and cannot be permitted particularly during the gardening season.
CHARLES G. WINSHIP, Town Marshall
PAST HISTORY OF
EVENTS AT MESA
VERDE NATIONAL PARK
Making Camp for the Night, July 1909.
Prof. Ed Levy was a teacher in Cortez in 1909/10. This is his story: “We camped where the Lodge now stands. We arrived by horseback coming in over the Old Longenbaugh Trail. There were no other roads...
The area known as the German Settlement is west of the "Old Plywood Plant" located on County Road T and west of the Skyline Store on Road T.5. both west of Highway 145.
PIONEER DESCRIBES GERMAN SETTLEMENT
Mrs. Agnes Langhamp Lupke
March 10, 1934
S. H. Phlegar of Dolores wrote this story in February of 1934 about events in the Montezuma Valley in 1909. This is from the "Anna Florence Robison interviews in 1934."
Lively Times in the Montezuma Valley in 1909
Mitchell Springs may be referred to as the first town site for the City of Cortez. The first in this series on Mitchell Springs in 1882 may be found in the January issue of Looking Back published by the Cortez Journal.
Just mention the name of Mitchell Springs to any old timer or one of their descendants and they'll tell you that Mitchell Springs was often referred to as the first town site for the City of Cortez. Traveling down South Oak and across the bridge is a large sign "Mitchell Springs Ruins Group" but the "Drinking Water Springs" are east of this area.