Nothing new in Weber Fire case
The cause of last month’s Weber Fire near Mancos is still being investigated jointly by the Montezuma County Sheriff’s Department and the Bureau of Land Management.
According to officials with the two agencies, any new information is still pending.
In late June, the BLM and the sheriff’s office reported the investigation had zeroed in on a juvenile as the potential suspect in causing the 10,133-acre blaze that sparked in the afternoon of June 22.
Shannon Borders, BLM public affairs specialist for the Southwest District, said on Wednesday morning that there was nothing new to report because the case is still under investigation.
Borders also said she had no idea on the time frame of when the investigation would be completed.
Lt. Ted Meador of the Montezuma County Sheriff’s Office on Wednesday morning echoed Border’s comments about the investigation not being finished, but added he was hoping the BLM and sheriff’s office could release something within the next week.
Meador said that as soon as the two agencies finishes reviewing the information, a joint press release would be issued.
The fire, estimated to have cost $3.2 million to fight, started about six miles south of Mancos and was fully contained July 5.